• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pitpal

Pitpal

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi guys I'm new to the forum. And have some questions.. I have a RES. and right now have brown algae in my tank.. I've never had any kind of algae problem..We've had her for 8 years.. So today I took her water to petco to get it tested to see if there was something wrong with her water. The guy there said no her water is fine. 0 ammonia and the nitrate is at 80. He said that was fine for a turtle tank.. I think he's wrong. I thought it was supossed be below 20 at least. (the lower the better) There is also white foam on the surface of the water, which I've never seen before either.. Of course my first instinct is take everything out and completly clean her tank. Do you think that is the best thing do or should I do a partial water change and hope it goes away?

Ok with all of that being said let me give you some particulars on the tank and filter we are using right now.

60 gallon tank
No rocks or plants
tetra fauna internal filter (we are planning on getting a canister filter soon)
tank heated 76 to 78 degrees
and a turtle dock (soon to be upgraded to the turtle topper is she will fit in one)

Thanks so much for any help you can provide because I really have no idea how to fix this and the guy at petco was no help at all..

#2 Pitpal

Pitpal

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

No reply's?? Now I'm sad..LOL I guess tommorrow I will break down this tank and clean every inch of it.. I did find some very green algae on her turtle dock tonight.. Hummph,,, What the heck is going on in there???? She seems happy, doesn't seem to bother her at all..LOL

#3 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hi,
Welcome to TT, glad you came aboard. Your right, it the nitrate, it's algae food. Like you said, if you have an algae problem keep the nitrate below 20ppm.

You need to do at least a 85% water change. If you have 80ppm nitrate then, 80 x .85 = 68..... 80 minus 68 = 12ppm nitrate left in the tank water after a 85% water change. 40-50ppm should be the max for nitrate in fresh water tanks.

What should help with the surface bubbles and scrum is a little powerhead to agitate the surface 24/7 and the problem should go away.

#4 Pitpal

Pitpal

New User

• Members Standard
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Thanks Claws for letting me know I'm not crazy..LOL My husband finally gave me the go ahead on the canister filter... I've been looking for one for about 8 or 9 months.. Do you have any suggestions on media??? The filter I'm ordering has 4 baskets for media.. I think what I wantt to do is.. 1 basket of Biomax. 1 basket of bio balls, 1 basket of actvated carbon, and 1 basket of Zeolote.. In that order.. The filter comes with bio floss ( I will order extra of that) But to save money I was thinking of only putting it in the top two trays to filter out the fine stuff. ( the bio floss is a little pricey considering I might have to be replaced often..) Any Ideas??
Thanks again for the reply..

#5 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

What kind of filter are you getting for your 60 gallon tank? It will help me with the media that comes with the filter.

One box(1-liter) of biomax is all the bio-media you need. Forget the bio-balls. Also forget about the zeolite, it's for removing ammonia. That's the job of the nitrifying bacteria that will colonize on the biomax. Personally, I don't use carbon(activated charcoal) it's for tank smell which is usually a sign of poor filtration. I filter a 65 lb snapper with three Rena XP3's and have no smell at all. The secret is to use enough and the right kind of mech filtration. I use 5-different pore size filter material. A very coarse pond sponge, coarse sponges and medium pore sponges that come with the filter a couple fine pondmaster sponges, topped off with 4-pads of filter floss. I like big als floss. It can be cleaned 4-5 times.
http://www.bigalspet...s-20-sq-ft.html Just cut to size.

What's the bio-floss you're talking about? Doesn't sound like anything I would use. Bio....means something to do with the nitrifying bacteria which should colonize on the biomax. If you use any kind of floss, I recommend using at least 4-pads. That way it's take a lot longer to fill the pads up with waste.

Basically, with 4-baskets I would use the first two as the water flows with mechanical filtration, sponges etc. at least three different pore size sponges. The third basket filled with biomax and the top basket filled with the floss I listed. Please ask if you have more questions, always glad to help. Good luck!

Edited by CLAWS, 21 April 2012 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users