Need some suggestions New Guinea Sidenecked Turtles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ExoticRescue

ExoticRescue

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Florida Exotic Pet Rescue Inc. ( Facebook page) I run a no kill Exotic Pet rescue in central FL

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

I run and exotic pet rescue here in Orlando Fl taking in almost any type of exotic...I work with vets as many are sick when they come in and need care, animals are then rehabbed and in most cases adopted out. I am not a hoarder and I am NOT a breeder. I do not take in many turtles, I get a few Sulcutas and sliders but I was asked to take in a New Guinea Sidenecked Turtle. The owner says he is 3 years old. She is dropping him off at the rescue today. I asked about his life style and was told he is housed in a 10 gallon tank , no heater, no UV light and no basking light. He has been fed reptamin turtle pellets. I have a MUCH bigger tank he will go into today ( 55 gallon to start) but I am confused with reading on here as to what their temps and UV requirements are. Also I prefer to feed a more natural based diet. I would like to hear from owners of other turtles. After he settles in he will go to the vet for exam and recal etc. But I know he needs the UV light and a bigger cage to start. Do they like an open swimming area or do they like submerged driftwood etc? Also how much time do they spend on land how large should that area be. ? I plan on a filter in the tank as I know turtles are messy. Thanks for any advice. As a rescue sometimes I get in more exotic and I told the lady I would be doing research as I had never personally taken one of these turtles in,

#2 Parkeri1313

Parkeri1313

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

try Austin's Turtle Page,care section, for information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users