Photo
- - - - -

Turtle from south Florida yard. Help ID?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy L. Tellinghuisen

Timothy L. Tellinghuisen

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

I'm new here, and LOVE this site. There is so much information here for someone new to turtles like me.

My kids recently found a small turtle (1.5 inch long carapace) in our yard. We live near a small pond in Palm Beach, Florida. We have no idea what kind of turtle it is, but based on some web searching it seems to be some type of cooter. The turtle has no 'twin' spots opposite the neck on the underside, and no yellow S behind the eye, so it doesn't seem to be a yellow bellied slider. Looking at pictures online, it seems to be a hieroglyphic variant of a cooter, Pseudemys concinna hieroglyphica, but this is just a guess on my part. We'd sure like to know what kind of turtle this is, so any help would be great.

I have attached a picture of the turtle for those of you who know more about these things.

So, anyone know what this turtle might be?

Posted Image

Edited by Timothy L. Tellinghuisen, 29 April 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#2 Timothy L. Tellinghuisen

Timothy L. Tellinghuisen

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Here is a picture of the side of the turtle's head, as I have seen this requested in many other threads. Apologies for the poor quality cell phone picture. The stripes are yellow/green on a black background. There is no red 'ear' spot on the side of the head.

Posted Image

Edited by Timothy L. Tellinghuisen, 29 April 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#3 turtle chaser

turtle chaser

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:turtles,fossils,fishing,kayaking,ultimate frisbee,lacrosse,soccer,football, herpipetoligist

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

i am not positive but to me it looks like it could be a yellow bellied slider.

#4 Exoticlvr

Exoticlvr

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 sugar gliders, 2 dogs and 9 Cooter eggs. I raised 3 box turtles from eggs when I was in school. I kept them about a year and let them go to nature.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

no it is not a YBS. I agree it is a type of cooter. They merged the hieroglyphic name with the other cooter types.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users