Photo
- - - - -

TURTLE'S SHELL IS FALLING APART... ***... NEED HELP ASAP! (PICS)

EMERGENCY!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gambit420

gambit420

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

I have a baby eastern painted turtle who has been great, healthy, active, friendly etc. I came home tonight and noticed he had a piece from the outer ring of the back of his shell missing. I instantly became worried and tried to find a vet around my area with no luck. I decided I'd see how it is in the morning and go from there. Now, two hours later I went to turn off their aquarium light and AM HORRIFIED by what I see. That piece has become a large chunk with white skin exposed underneath. What is going on???? I regularly check my turtles for shellrot or any injuries. His shell seems to be hard like normal. I noticed there are traces of blood. In 20 years of owning turtles I have never ever seen this. Here are the pictures from when I first noticed it and what it looks like now. Just two hours later!! The white power on his shell is residue from our hard water. I don't want to clean him off because I can tell he is in obvious pain. PLEASE HELP!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1st.JPG
  • 2nd.jpg

#2 gambit420

gambit420

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have Maracyn, Neosporine and Benadine at the ready but I havent used them. Here is a picture of him about 10 days ago with his brother.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled-3.jpg

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Due to the size difference, I think that your other larger turtle may be the cause of the shell injury, especially if there is blood. This is not a normal scute just shedding, it is coming off due to trauma. I suggest separating the two. You should also check out the other things in the tank - to see if something else could be causing this (like a strong suction on the pump, where the turtle is getting caught and struggles to break free?).

Most of these type of injuries will heal, but you need to find the cause (and separate the two turtles) so that it doesn't happen again. With the bleeding, that means broken skin, so I also would dry-dock him until the skin heals. Definitely, a vet could help with any meds if needed, as well as better identify the injury and possible cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users