Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Can skittish turtles become more friendly?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 obex_mike

obex_mike

New User

• Members Standard
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'm moving house in a few weeks and im unsure where to put my 2 map turtles when i move. At the moment theyre in my spare bedroom, so when I move I thought it'd be nice to have them in the living room instead. Only problem is theyre skittish as hell. Any time you put your head round the door they're off their basking platform and back in the water, so I tend to leave them alone so they can bask for longer.

My question is if I move them to the living room in my new house are they likely to get used to more human contact or are they likely to just hide all the time and get shell rot etc due to lack of basking? Ive tried enclosing their basking platform but it seems they dont like that either, presumably because they cant see me coming!
I can put them either in the living room or the dining room (which would get less use), obviously I want to show them off and interact with them but I dont want to stress them out either.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :) cheers.

#2 Kayonna Ameana

Kayonna Ameana

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Yes move them to a living area with High traffic! it will do them some good and get them used to people around. This worked wonders for my shy baby. Now she swims, eats, and loves to stare at people sitting near her. Never runs and hides unless there is a loud bang but i think she is getting used to it. haha. =)

#3 emilyestep

emilyestep

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

In general, make sure their living situation is physically comfortable as possible. Maybe they're stressed out. Don't handle them too much; that makes them uncomfortable. Just think about what would make them feel secure in their tank.

#4 shellgame56

shellgame56

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would make the move. Sometimes it works, especially if you have more than one turtle. My Rio Grande slider was extremely shy, until I got two YBS. Almost over night she was begging for food and wanting me to approach their tank. Now she dives off the basking area to splash up against the tank for me to feed her! Bottom line is, I think it would probably be worth the effort to try. If they don't adjust or stop eating because of too much activity near them you may need to go back to letting them avoid people. If it works, though, you will be much happier and they will be less stressed in the long run. Give it a try.

#5 THREEStripedMAMA

THREEStripedMAMA

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

I would move them into the living room, for sure! My Mud, Nickel, used to be skittish when he was younger - I used to have his tank in my bedroom and all he ever saw was me.  I rarely saw him bask because anytime I walked in the room, he dove off his dock and was hiding in the water!

When I moved, I decided to move his tank into my living room. Nickel became the center of the household.  He really started becoming comfortable and loving the attention! Now everytime I walk in the door, Nickel dives into the water but he isn't hiding - he's just swimming around with excitement because he is soo happy people are around! :) 

#6 L.West

L.West

• Members Standard
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

I recently moved my turtles from an aquarium into a stock tank.  When they were in the aquarium they were very friendly and interactive but now that I've moved them to the stock tank they seem totally afraid of me.  Everytime I approach the dive deep into the tank and hide - sorts disappointing since they weren't like this before.  I sure hope they come around to being friendly again.  Its been about a month since they were moved to their new stock tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users