Cache Valley Bee Removal

Jump to content

- - - - -

Lighting Question

Reptisun UVB Overhead lighting

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaurenNW


    Starting Member

  • Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:52 AM


Very recently I switched my RES from a 20 gallon set up to a 55 gallon set up. The 20 gallon did not have overhead lights, so I have been using a couple of clamp lights for his basking bulb and his UVB bulb. My new 55 gallon tank came with overhead lights, which I have never used.

I have a couple of questions.

1) I know that with a clamp/spot light you can just buy a regular household spot light to use as a basking light. Is that the same with the long flourescent light or do I need to buy a special reptile light? If it is the same, what is a good wattage to buy?

2) What is a good brand to buy? (Reptisun is all I know of)

3) Do they make a combined basking/UVB light and if so should I use it for both overhead lights or set up one over the basking area and use a normal UVB light over the rest of the tank?

Thanks in advance!



    The "Filter Man"

  • Members Plus
  • 6,506 posts
  • Age: 79
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northwest Indiana, USA
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi, welcome to TT.

It's the same with long tubes. Watts depends on the distance. If you're stuck with a particular distance then adjusting the wattage to get your 90F on the dock. If you can adjust the distance, I would go with a 75 watt bulb.

Just about any brand long tube would be fine.

For combo HEAT and UVB I would get a Mega Ray 100 watt sell balasted bulb. Their a little pricy but they last a lot long then the long tubes. Here is a site where I get mine. This is what you should get for your setup. http://www.reptileuv...od-uvb-lamp.php

If you're going to get a combo bulb just use it over the basking dock and it's really not necessary to use a UV bulb elswhere. Just buy a standard fluorescent bulb for general lighting.

#3 LaurenNW


    Starting Member

  • Members Standard
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thank you for the information. It looks like I will have to stick with clamp lights unless I want to replace the hoods on my aquarium.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reptisun, UVB, Overhead lighting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users