• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 franktheturtle

franktheturtle

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

So I had my snapper, Phineas, at a local shop boarding last week while I was on vacation. I have done so several times with out any problem because they know proper care. Well, she was kept in one of their tanks and when I got her home, she didn't seem interested in eating last night. I didn't think much of it because of the stress of moving, and because I put her in a new enclosure. Anyway, this morning I went down to check on her and turn the lights on, etc., and noticed something odd in the bottom of her tank. I scooped about 20-25 pieces of gravel out of her bare bottom tank. She must have been in a tank with gravel. I know its been said 100+ times on here, but DO NOT put gravel small enough to swallow in your turtle tank. I'll be keeping an eye on her for the next few days. Hopefully this was all of it.

Couple new pics.
Disney 141.jpg
Disney 142.jpg

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Oh wow! That was a little scary. Has she began to eat? Hope she's ok.

#3 franktheturtle

franktheturtle

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

CLAWS,
She didn't eat last night, but there was no new gravel in the tank. Hoping that means all has passed. My previous snapper got a bit timid when I moved her into a new tank and this could be the same issue (old tank was clear, this is black). I'll give her another day or so before I get really worried. I'll also be double checking the water temp to make sure it's right. I picked her up and nothing from the outside looks wrong. No blood or vomiting or anything.

#4 franktheturtle

franktheturtle

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:48 AM

Well, good news. She ate last night. A bit timid, but she may still be a little unsure about the new tank. Hopefully this means she's good to go. No new gravel either.

#5 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

Sounds good. I've got Snappy in a 110 gallon tank for a week or so while i'm doing construction on her old 400 gallon tank, and she didn't eat for the first few days. She's not too happy in there. She just lays around all day long. So it understandable with your snapper and the new environment.

#6 franktheturtle

franktheturtle

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

I would imagine that Snappy wouldn't care for the huge reduction in space. Phineas seems to be eating fine now. No more gravel either. I think it was a combo of stress and rocks, but all seems to be good now. At least this will get her used to this kind of enclosure as the next will probably be a 110 gal stock tank. TSS is literally across the street, so I'll be home shopping soon. I'll be able to use this one for a basking tank for a while once she gets a new place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Snapping turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users