• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tspuckler

tspuckler

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

I was feeding my aquatic turtles at 8:00PM when I noticed some activity in the Florida Box Turtle pen nearby.
Posted Image

This turtle was busy digging a hole. First she'd scoop out dirt with one back foot until she got tired, then she'd switch feet.

Posted Image

This went on for quite some time. Before I knew it, it was 9:00. But the reptile just kept on slowly but surely digging.

Posted Image

It was pretty exhausting just watching. This friendly neighborhood deer came by to keep me company for awhile.

Posted Image

By 10:00PM I was ready to take a nap. I seriously needed a cup of coffee. But that turtle just kept on digging.

Posted Image

A little while later this raccoon stopped by and was watching me watching the turtle from the deck.

Posted Image

Finally, at 10:15 - an egg!

Posted Image

Then she quickly covered it in dirt to make it look like nothing ever happened.

Third Eye Herp

#2 kingnicky

kingnicky

• Members Standard
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Congratulations! Best of luck with those eggs! Be careful with those raccoons though! Once, they took off with two of my turtles. Luckily my neighbors trap them and take them far far away, so now they're not a problem anymore.

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

What a great "Wild Kingdom" type of night, awesome! Glad you were able to witness not just the turtle, but the local wildlife as well - amazing how many people don't see that. :-) Hope the egg(s) make through - counting the 70+ days now, eh?

#4 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

Congratulations on the turtle eggs but the reason the raccoon showed up is it smelled the eggs being laid; I once had a three-toed box turtle laying in an outdoor pen and I removed the cover to take some photographs - I ran into the house to grab my camera, was gone maybe three minutes and when I returned the turtle was moved off of the nest and the eggs were gone - some bits of shell remaining. That is how good a raccooon's sense of smell is and it was my stupid fault for leaving the pen cover off with that occurring - even for a few minutes. Cover that pen and protect those eggs. Your pen should also have something in the ground going down about 12 to 18 inches so that nothing can dig in either. Raccoons, skunks, fox, possum, rats, hawks, etc. are turtle preditors - they will get your turtles (or dig up nests) if they are kept outside no matter where you live.

Great photos! But take precautions as to those raccoons which obviously know you have food and turtles around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users