• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 designhoo

designhoo

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

I just found a baby ( what I'm pretty certain is an Eastern Box Turtle) hiding out in my Grandmother's garage. It was during some extremely hot days and no water nearby. I've rescued turtles from the highway before (uninjured) and put them in the woods behind my house (we find them in our compost pile from time to time), but this is the first one I've found that has special needs. I know turtles adapt to missing limbs, I just worry about this one (it's a girl) because she is so young and only has one eye as well as a nub for a right leg. I would be more than welcome to keep her but don't want to be doing her a disservice if she would be fine in the wild on her own. Advise?

Edited by designhoo, 02 July 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#2 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,346 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Here is what I would do - first, if possible, can you post a photo on here for identification. Secondly, if this is an eastern box, what I would do is contact a wildlife rehabber or reptile rescue in your county/area for help - to find a rehabber, any vet in your area should have the name/number of your county wildlife rehabber or any rescue that could help. Or you can contact your County Informatoin Line or your Dept. of Natural Resources, Fish & Wildlife Division, for names/numbers. I would not arbitrarily release this turtle back into the wild as it appears to be compromised not only as to eye and limb but may be dehydrated and have other ailments.

Also most states, in which they are native, protect Eastern Box Turtles as their numbers are in such decline in the wild. Many states require a permit to keep one and many states allow a household to have one. It all depends on the state in which you live.

I would definately contact a rehabber or reptile rescue and have them take the turtle for evaluation and possible rehab back into the wild. Call any area vet (go to www.localvet.com to find a reptile vet near you) and find out if they would take the turtle to go to a rehabber or if they can supply you with the phone number of the person to contact. Many vets will take in a native injured or compromised turtle and place it in the rehabbers hands.

Thank you for your concern for this turtle and for its well-being - you are to be commended...

#3 animal kingdom2

animal kingdom2

• Members Plus
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ditto, pics are helpful to identify and help. First, if it is a "baby" then you really don't know if this is a girl or boy (not really relevant in this case anyway). I have rehabbed turtles and other critters missing limbs (I currently have a 3-legged rabbit who is soooooooooooooo fast!), and if their health and the injury is otherwise healed, it is amazing how they can overcome their handicap! Personally, while I understand and agree about the various state laws regarding wildlife, in this case, I would keep this one in my long-term care, and provide as natural a habitat as possible for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users