Signs of an unhappy turtle?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ronin_ninja

ronin_ninja

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Reptiles & Amphibians, Spiders, Scorpions, Computer Science, Music, Astronomy, Martial Arts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm just curious if there are any ways that an owner can tell if their pet is unhappy? (besides obvious signs such as scratching at it's enclosure/terrarium)

#2 princess_squirtle

princess_squirtle

• Members Standard
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Studying and reading about all kind of herps.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

First of all i can tell when they are happy, either turtle basks 6-7 hours a day, swim up to the tank all excited to see you especially when food is involved, though princess squirtle has yet to connect worms with food. But when cedric is unhappy the whole house knows, he hisses,bites and if being held he will pee on you. He gets in ,moods especially after a complete water change and when my father in law puts in feeder fish he will eat them all in one night leaving the heads when he is upset.

#3 ronin_ninja

ronin_ninja

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Turtles, Reptiles & Amphibians, Spiders, Scorpions, Computer Science, Music, Astronomy, Martial Arts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

First of all i can tell when they are happy, either turtle basks 6-7 hours a day, swim up to the tank all excited to see you especially when food is involved, though princess squirtle has yet to connect worms with food. But when cedric is unhappy the whole house knows, he hisses,bites and if being held he will pee on you. He gets in ,moods especially after a complete water change and when my father in law puts in feeder fish he will eat them all in one night leaving the heads when he is upset.

My turtle must be happy, he basks under his light daily and always is hungry! I always let him outside (he's a box turtle) to explore too!

#4 TurtleDean

TurtleDean

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:3 toed Box Turtles
    Gamera(F)mom
    Pugsley(M)dad
    Lumpy(M)

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

An "unhappy" turtle will not eat, a healthy appetite is a sign of good husbandry.
Also if they are mating and of course laying eggs could be another sign.
Laying healthy eggs that hatch is also a sign that you are feeding and caring for our captive animal well.
Also clear eyes, no signs of skin abnormalities, and moderate activity (water turtles are more active of course) and a hard shell
Turtle do not frolic like other pets, so I go by these signs for a well cared for animal.

Edited by TurtleDean, 23 July 2012 - 04:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users