Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

hatchling stinkpots eat live fish? agression problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dandj425

dandj425

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Kids, turtles, life learning

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

While I was at work my oldest fed our 3 hatchlings. She put in one of our big turtle's feeder fish to hang out as well. Her thinking was it was as big as them and they are so tiny they wouldn't eat it. Wrong!! I just watched the feeding time video and OMG they picked at that poor fish mercilessly! And I saw aggression between 2 of them. That part concerns me but no injuries were had. Will I need to individually feed them? One was holding back from the other two and only stepped in for a few nibbles when the others weren't "on the fish". I know hatchlings are carnivorous but thought they only would attack much smaller prey. Lesson learned there! So we feed live anyways to the adults we have but have seen no aggression. I thought I read stinkpots can be aggressive to eachother especially males. Does this mean these two are males or just normal hatchling bad manners?

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,471 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Sounds normal... feeding frenzy, no holds bared. They will attack their prey, especially when it's moving around, they get excited. When I had two small musks in the same tank, razorback and a stinkpot, I would feed them in their living tank at each end. Worked out fine come feeding time. Yes, they can get a little aggressive come feeding time. Just keep an eye on them.

#3 arcticlove

arcticlove

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:turtlesss

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

mom, they werent intially attacking each other. just a couple toes in the wrong at the wrong time, n i think their eyesight isn't the best. there was an injury but there was no blood. my baby, blastoise lost a middle claw one his right front leg, but it doesnt affect blastoise in anyway. i do wonder though if it will grow back. they do seem like they are all best buds

#4 aperseghin

aperseghin

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

starting feeding them in separate containers if its an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users