Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

Candled Painted Turtle Egg PIC-Does it look fertile?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NebraskaTurtleMom

NebraskaTurtleMom

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Below is a picture of one of three painted turtle eggs that were laid on the 29th of June. Another appears similar to this one but the third appears to have nothing inside it at all. I assumed the first was not fertilized from the beginning because it never chalked up and there was never any contents inside the egg that I could see. It has also started to cave in which from my understanding is another sign that it is not fertile.
With the two that appear to be fertile I see below but I don't see any veins. Could this egg still be fertile? Is that dark spot in the middle the embryo? The circle around it and the dark spot in the middle have gradually appeared with the circle being there first and now the dark spot. Can someone confirm if this is indeed a turtle embryo and maybe what exactly it is I'm looking at? Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 NebraskaTurtleMom

NebraskaTurtleMom

New User

• Members Standard
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Anyone?

#3 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

It's quite possible - I believe the green light is throwing me off because I see no blood vessels. How are you incubating these eggs and if this egg is fertile, I would not handle it often, incubate it properly and see what happens. Handling can dislodge the embryo if handled incorrectly or too much or rotated even slightly.

#4 DarExc

DarExc

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, if those lines are red then yes, it is fertile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users