• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 turtlemaniac

turtlemaniac

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

My 14 year old painted turtle has a pink bottom shell that has lost all original yellow-y tint. His top show many dents from his prior owners though i am told that will fix over time. He is growing alot recently, because he is only about 4-5 inches despite his age and now i feed him regularly. He is shedding alot and I am wondering if his shedding so much is causing this, if so should i stop feeding him every day?. Some sources are hinting at septicemia, therefore I am beginning to believe he has septicemia. He was like 6 inch deep water and a fully un-sumerged basking spot. I alternate between a heat and uvb light. I am not sure I am using the correct type of light but the prior owners never used any. I am very scared, help would be apprecaited. Also, I have a filter he shares with some gold fish. Do I need two filters, he has about 6-12 gallons all spread out and I use a filter sized medium.

#2 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,381 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

In a situation such as this it is always best to have your turtle checked by a reptile vet to be on the safe side. You can find a vet in your area by going to www.localvet.com or calling any vet in your area for a reference. A photo would help if you can post one. But anytime one suspects septicemia, it is best to have the turtle checked as it can progress quickly.

#3 turtlemaniac

turtlemaniac

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

My closet vet opens the twenty fifth and I have left a
Message asking fI they treat turtles. Thanks for the website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users