* * * * * 1 votes

cascade 1000 100gal canister filter

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:My turtle JR who is in a 90 gal currently and is 7 inch long male red earerd slider and is very hungry all the time haha

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

well today i went out to a reptile show for fun and since i was out to town i decided to get my turtle a new filter as the topic says it is a cascade 1000 100 gal canister filter. so far it is a decent put together it was a little disapointed about the lack of house in tank ends but for 120 bucks its cheaper than a fluval of the same size. it was kinda hard to get the filter going my tip is to take and remove all the media and wash it out put it in a bowl and get ALL of the air out of it then fill the canister and put on the pump. so far its very very quite almost no noise at all from the pump. i did like how the filter has a built in hand pump for priming the system and getting it going. the filter has three stages of media baskets there is foam type baskets on the top and bottom and then there is a charcoal bag in the center this is just a initial review ill post further on how it works.

#2 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:My turtle JR who is in a 90 gal currently and is 7 inch long male red earerd slider and is very hungry all the time haha

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

so far so good i had a small problem with the lack of a true intake and exhaust end fittings it would suck my turtle in to the intake to solve this i simply used part of a old filter that would act as a guard to keep him safely away from the inlet. so far this was my only problem so far my water clarity is great and this thing is silent almost no noise unless you are very very close. i will continue to post on this filters performence any questions about it just ask.

#3 EWC88

EWC88

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Keep us updated!

#4 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

well its bean awhile since i installed the filter and still great still quite and still no leaks i will check the media at the end of the month since there is tons of it in there. this was the same price as the two filters i had in there to begin with and this has exceedingly better water quality moves tons of water and i got no complaints besides the intake problem which was easy to fix the filter is about 3ft below the tank the lines are almost to short and its great. at this point i would recomend this filter.

#5 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

just did a media cleaning took me 15 minutes to take apart rinse and put back into the tank i was very happy with how easy it was to clean out the media which was just rinsed. there are shut off valves on the houses which was really nice to take off the main pump to keep water from syphoning out of the tank. this filter has been good to me so far. i didnt need to clean the media i just wanted to check on how it was doing. this was a good deal for how much u get. i havent added more media which i will do because the filter is only at 60% media capacity as my guess. i would get this filter again and will continue posting on how it is with a 75 acrylic tank which is what im now looking into.

#6 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

did another cleaning and this time replaced all of the media and found a live fish in the filter it was pretty cool to see it was still alive for almost a month in the filter it has cleared out and the water is now crystal clear it took about a week to get it to a really good clean water quality. so far no problems the built in primer works great good buy still recomend.

#7 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like your Cascade 1000 is doing a real good job for you. You can't beat a canister filter to keep the water clean. Media volume is key.

What kind of bio-media are you using? Don't forget to check your water chemistry. Make sure the ammonia remains at zero and the nitrate stays below 40-50ppm by doing water changes. Both are colorless so you need the little test kits to determine those levels.

#8 EWC88

EWC88

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 727 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Yea it does sound like your filter is doing a great job! Like claws said you can't beat a canister filter! Once I bought my first canister I've been hooked since lol.

Off topic, claws what test kit do you recommend?

#9 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I use the API liquid test kits. There are also paper test strips that aren't as accurate.

#10 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

well all my levels get checked periodictly and make sure its all in check i need to get the bigger tank because i do water changes allot with such a small space with him hes in a 30l but is getting a 75e with atba and keeping the filter but i have to move him to a different spot i use a mixed diet to help with water clarity so he doesnt get board with his food and he eats with more gusto and doesnt let the food get away from him and i also give him fish every so often to also help as moving food.

#11 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

and the bio media is zeolite crystals and activated charcole in the center with foam on the top and bottom still a great system i will get other media`s in there for a more edjucated and broadened slection of water clearing solutions

#12 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

well im putting the filter to a huge test i got the turtle a 90 gallon tank thats about 75 or so gallons in it. need more hose for the filter to put the intake and exhaust in the correct spots might get a power head to help with water movement.

#13 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

well the filter is still going strong with a fully filled 90 gallon tank with 20+ small gold fish 1 large gold fish 1 medium tinfoil barb 1 small silver dollar and 1 emerald cory cat and the filter is keeping up with ease still use sand for a good looking tank i have 1 live plant(mostly eaten by junior) put into a pot of sand to keep it upright. i have a 400 watt heater that came with the tank(i got a 90 gallon tank stand and florescent light for 200 bucks  :D) the filter is keeping up with ease the water is as clear as a gallon of store water there is a little problem with circulation because the tank could use a power head  to move all the water but the is on my own preference. the filter is doing a great job and has had no problems with keeping water clear for over 2 months with no change in water.

#14 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Sounds like your tank/filter setup in working real good. I always base my water changes, once cycled, when my nitrate got to 40-50ppm. Also with larger tanks like yours, I would use the filter to be directed low in the tank to filter the heavier waste there. But with sand you need to be careful not to disturb the sand too much. Then if you experience some surface scum and the like, a powerhead to agitate the surface water would be needed. In my 400 gallon snapper tank, the scum would get so bad it would turn all colors of the rainbow. Then I found out about surface agitation. Now with one of my XP3 outlets at the surface, like magic, the surface scum disappeared. Good luck to ya!

#15 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, I use air bubbles to help agitate the surface and make aeration to make the fish happy(i have added two Oscars one large one small) the water is about 73 degrees to make everyone happy.  

#16 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

recently found a leak occuring :( glad that i cought it before it drained the tank. havent torn down the filter yet because of the water required to be cleaned. hope its a easy fix ;(

#17 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

ok sorry for the long time between posts, wanted to make sure this worked well. i took the filter down to where the houses connect and put a liberal amount of vasaline on it to see if it would help. as it turns out its been running fine and has had no leaking since. :) hope it holds for a awhile, gonna try the new fluval fx6 when i get the cash around

#18 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

i am still using this filter and have had no real problems with it since, it occasionally gets air bubbles( to stop this i have to clean the media this acts as a reminder ). it is still keeping a well stocked 90 gallon tank clean and clear. [shades]  

#19 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

replaced the pad foam in the filter yesterday.  it was quick and easy as always. the tank has a large gold fish a adult oscar a smaller oscar a silverdollar a extra large daino a cory cat a pencil fish and a fire mouth ciclid and of course the turtle. the filter is keeping the water clean with little to no hassles and is well suited to the 90gallon tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users