• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi. I purchased some blood worms for my turtles. I later found some moving in my dogs water dish. I just wanted to know if the thawed blood worms alive?

#2 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

The bloodworms one can purchase that come frozen are dead. Feeder items that one can purchase as frozen die during the freezing process. When thawed they need to fed quickly as they will spoil as would any frozen meat one would take from their freezer, thaw and prepare for dinner.

Your post confuses me...how did the bloodworms get in your dog's water dish if they were meant for your turtles? If there are worms in your dogs water bowl, your dog may have internal parasites as there are parasites that will migrate up from the dog's lungs and can appear in it's mouth, be coughed up, etc.

#3 Duckett

Duckett

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, Im on the same page as BoxTurtleLover. I was a veterinary assistant for about a year, and I saw some weird stuff come out of dogs, up to and including an engagement ring (dont ask). Seriously though... Do you have a picture of one of these "bloodworms"? Because - unless you physically put one in your dog's bowl - its likely that you may have actually seen a tapeworm, roundworm, or heartworm.

also, have you smelled what happens to live bloodworms when they die? its unmistakable.

#4 Baller77

Baller77

Turtelman77

• Members Plus
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

The blood worms found in the dish looked exactly like the frozen blood worms that i feed my turtles. some of them get on the floor when I feed the turtles.

#5 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,380 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

The blood worms found in the dish looked exactly like the frozen blood worms that i feed my turtles. some of them get on the floor when I feed the turtles.

The live worms in your dog water bowl would not be coming from frozen dead bloodworms - I suggest you contact your regular vet about your dog and to have him checked out for parasites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users