Hatchling gasping air

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Exoticlvr

Exoticlvr

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 sugar gliders, 2 dogs and 9 Cooter eggs. I raised 3 box turtles from eggs when I was in school. I kept them about a year and let them go to nature.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

My river cooter hatchling hatched on 8-27-12. He was doing ok but his egg sac is huge. Today I found him gasping for air and more lethargic. There seems to be a band around the egg sac tirades his feet not close the his body. I can see red veins running through it. He still has his egg tooth. Did he hatch too soon? I have him on a moist paper towel under a warming lamp.

#2 BoxTurtleLover

BoxTurtleLover

Addicted Member

• Moderator Team
  • 2,287 posts
  • Interests:My interest lies mainly with Eastern, Three-Toed and Gulf Coast Box Turtles, but love and appreciate all turtles and tortoises.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

If his egg sac is very large he probably is a bit premature. That does not mean he will not make it but sometimes with prematurity they have difficulty breathing just as with any other premature animal. Keep him on damp paper towels supported all around by shredded damp paper towels, do not let him dry out and cover him lighting with a damp paper towel. Keep in a warm environment and away from insects - you can even place him back in the incubator. The less you handle him/her, the better. All you can do now is wait and see what happens. I hope all works out...Keep us informed.

#3 Exoticlvr

Exoticlvr

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 sugar gliders, 2 dogs and 9 Cooter eggs. I raised 3 box turtles from eggs when I was in school. I kept them about a year and let them go to nature.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I had him in the incubator on a moist paper towel under the lamp but he died sometime in the night. It wasn't meant to be. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users