• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Underfallinstars

Underfallinstars

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

I just recently bought 2 baby red eared sliders at the local flea market. While purchasing them I noticed their eyes were closed and both had soft shell. I brought them home and put them in a 20 gallon tank with a heat lamp and I bought all kinds of medicine including turtle eye drops and vita shell. I cannot get them into a vet for a few weeks where I live. I want to save these turtles and give them a chance of life. All they do is lay around and barely eat. I'm not sure what I should do to help them. Please help!!

#2 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

First of all, raise the water temperature to around 82 degrees, and the basking area to between 85 and 90 degrees. The higher temperatures will help to boost the turtles' immune systems. Turtles need not only a heat lamp, but also one that provides UVB rays, which strengthen the shell. A Reptisun 5.0 lamp will do this and is usually available in most pet stores. The UVB lamp should be positioned about one foot above the basking area. Your turtles need food containing calcium to help their shells. Reptomin sticks soaked in human baby vitamins such as Pedialyte or PolyViSol may help. (Some pet stores even sell Baby Reptomin, which is smaller and softer than regular Reptomin.) Live food such as earthworms will sometimes entice turtles to eat, but you may need to chop them up for baby turtles. If your turtles refuse to eat, you can try soaking them for 30-60 minutes in a small shallow container with some Pedialyte or PolyViSol added to the water. The Vita Shell won't help soft shell; it's only a cosmetic product that makes the shell look shiny but may actually do more harm than good.

If you try all these things and your turtles don't survive, please don't blame yourself and know that you tried your best. They already had serious health problems when you bought them due to improper care. Baby turtles are very fragile and sometimes aren't strong enough to fight off the effects of poor husbandry. We're wishing you good luck and pulling for your little ones!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users