• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 turtlemaniac

turtlemaniac

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Can my painted turtle share a filter with my 2 gold fish? i need to keep oxgen in my fish tank so I switch which pet has the filter every few days. My turtle got a pink bottom shell most likely from bacteria in our water and I want to know if this is probably from a water problem when bateria was building up in a filter in our well, or if the fish sharing is causing this. aRe there any bad effects from this?

#2 CLAWS

CLAWS

The "Filter Man"

• Members Plus
  • 6,470 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Fishing, Photography, Plant (canna lilly) hybridizer, Turtle equip research, and Turtles.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

It's not a good idea to keep switching the filter from one tank to the other every so often. Filters are used for not only to remove waste from the water but they also house special nitrifying bacteria in them to keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero once cycled. Both ammonia and nitrite are very toxic even at low levels. Switching filters can cause the ammonia to rise sharply and cause your fish or turtles to become ill. It's a good idea to monitor the ammonia in your tank by using the little test kits.

In order for your turtle to have a healthy shell it must bask on a regular basis and get it's shell completely dry on the basking dock. If you're concerned about aerating the water for your fish, it's best to use a bubbling air system, which are very inexpensive. Their small air pumps that inject air bubbles into the water which keeps the oxygen level favorable for your goldfish.

The pink bottom shell might be a natural color. Shell rot is usually patches of deeper red. Something like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 calisphere

calisphere

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Also, it may be a hassle, but you would be better off keeping the filter with the goldfish and just doing daily water changes for the turtle. What size tanks do you have and how many turtles and goldfish? The painted should be in at least a 75 gallon as an adult if it's a male (125 gallons if females as they get big). The goldfish should be in at least 30 gallons, if it's just one. Add 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. Remember that you'll need at least twice the filtration for your goldfish. So, if you have one goldfish in a 30 gallon, you will need a filter rated for 60 gallons. They give out a lot of ammonia. Turtles are messy little critters and should have double filtration as well, if not more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users