• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dustien

Dustien

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi From Northwest Arkansas. This turtle is the first of this type I've seen among a ton of red ears and painted in a local 250+ acre lake... This video has three views of the turtle...left, front and right. Right shows colors the best. His stripes are bright yellow on all sides of his head, even two on the top of his head which you can't see. His tail is also yellow stripped. His arms are mottled yellow and green. This video was taken yesterday. Today, on he same log, was a much smaller one, same breed. I'm guessing this years young... I'll be listing the video of him/her on you tube also.

Any identification help would be appreciated. I'm thinking Mud turtle...just don't know what kind. Mississippi?

#2 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Stinkpot, aka common musk (sternotherus odoratus)

#3 Dustien

Dustien

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Justawinturbo! I don't remember the musk turtles of Ohio having been so brightly colored. It's been quite awhile since I've seen a musk sunning himself, surely, if I ever did. Great to know what the little guys are.

Interesting turtle note. Yesterday while out in my boat I captured video of a red shouldered hawk eating something...after getting a closer look on the computer, he was eating a small turtle. Couldn't tell what kind, but it was in the area of these musk's so could very well have been one of the young musks. He sure had a time with the shell, but he finally got it down. It was quite facinating. So many things eat baby turtles...it's amazing that any of them in the wild live to grow up.

#4 justatwinturbo

justatwinturbo

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

A quick easy way to tell the difference between mississippi muds and stinkpots, both sets of stripes on the side of the stinkpots head, travel to the nose. Only the top stripe in MS muds do.

#5 Dustien

Dustien

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Great tip.thanks!

#6 FayettevilleJoe

FayettevilleJoe

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Is that Lake Fayetteville? I have hunted some in Sequoyah and Wedington. White River, Lee Creek and Clear Creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users