• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Baller77

Baller77

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi. I am currently using a regular 75 watt household bulb as a heat lamp. I have also seen bulbs in the pet store that say they give off heat. I just wanted to know if their is a difference between a regular household bulb and the heat bulbs that they sell in the pet store such as the zoo med basking bulbs.

#2 dadams

dadams

New User

• Members Standard
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I've used 75 & 100 w. bulbs, w/o a problem, but I don't have any tropical or desert turtles. I bought an expensive heat lamp, didn't see any other difference other than price. Didn't last as long either. Some fixtures however reflect light and direct the heat better than others. Make sure the fixture is rated for the wattage you're using.

#3 turtleheadR1

turtleheadR1

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

NO! A household light is NOT good enough.A heat lamp for a reptile/turtle also produces uva which is extremely important to the psychological well being.There is a reason these bulbs are more expensive.You won't be able to see a differance,but the turtle will since it sees uva.Also,you have to make sure you have a uvb bulb also. Without this your turt will suffer a great deal of pain until it eventually dies.Both of these bulbs are very,very,very important to the health of the turtle.A household bulb is a form of turture.

#4 Baller77

Baller77

Preferred Member

• Members Plus
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Someone shot a video on you tube who stating that their was no difference between a household bulb and a reptile basking bulb. He claimed that they both give off the same amount of heat.

#5 turtleheadR1

turtleheadR1

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

The heat isn't the differenc,the difference is the basking bulb puts out uva which your turtle needs.Turtles see in the same way we do except they also see uva.Without it everything will look strange to your turt and stress him out.Also don't forget the uvb bulb or your turtle WILL die without it.He may be right about the heat,but thats not all reptles/turts need.

Edited by turtleheadR1, 07 November 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#6 turtlefanatic

turtlefanatic

my turtles = my family

• Members Plus
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

The ZooMed basking bulbs give off heat and UVA. However, if your turtle also has a UVB bulb (which it should), you don't have to worry about UVA because all UVB bulbs also provide UVA. In that case, a 60 or 75 watt household bulb would work as a heat lamp.

#7 noah g

noah g

• Members Standard
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:My turtle JR who is in a 90 gal currently and is 7 inch long male red earerd slider and is very hungry all the time haha

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

you have to get the turtle tough lights otherwise you will be going through them constantly i have the biggest one and its bean about a year almost with it in for about 30 bucks or so and the turtle loves it allot he also had a house lamp for about a week which i saw a noticeable difference in his color that is when i got him to correct lamp which has no brought back the color

#8 center5150

center5150

Normal Member

• Members Plus
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I use a 200w reading light hooked to a thermostat works fine, you just have to have a uvb light as well or d3 supliments

#9 paul112

paul112

Long Term Keeper

• Members Plus
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

NO! A household light is NOT good enough.A heat lamp for a reptile/turtle also produces uva which is extremely important to the psychological well being.There is a reason these bulbs are more expensive.You won't be able to see a differance,but the turtle will since it sees uva.Also,you have to make sure you have a uvb bulb also. Without this your turt will suffer a great deal of pain until it eventually dies.Both of these bulbs are very,very,very important to the health of the turtle.A household bulb is a form of turture.

Just wanted to put a few things straight with this comment;
- Firstly, turtles need a source of heat to bask. If the basking temperature is not higher than the water temperature, the turtle will not bask.
- Many keepers recommend the use of UVB lighting for turtles, as this promotes vitamin D3 production, which is needed for turtles to absorb dietary calcium.
- UVB bulbs also produce UVA, which is supposed to stimulate natural behaviors, but generally do not produce much heat.
- Thus, the common way of providing heat, UVB and UVA is using a UVB(+UVA) fluorescent tube alongside a regular household spotlight.
- "Reptile heat bulbs" are just overpriced spotlights with UVA output. The most important factor in turtle lighting is UVB.

Lastly, keeping turtles without UV lighting is not a death sentence. What is most important is that the turtle gets vitamin D3 from somewhere, otherwise illnesses such as metabolic bone disease can occur. Some keepers (myself included) do not use anything other than a household spotlight for basking, but provide vitamin D3-rich foods in the diet, and raise turtles just fine. I can assure you all my healthy turtles look quite comfortable basking under just a spotlight, and not tortured in any way.

Best,
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users