1 reply to this topic

#1 cnncruz

cnncruz

Starting Member

• Members Standard
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:box turltes, reading, and walking

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

i have 4 ornate turtles. i live in colorado. they have been hibernating since oct. inside. the temps are below 40F still. they live outdoors during spring and summer and fall. should i wake them up or let them hibernate until the weather is warmer?

#2 samsmom

samsmom

Turtle Gardener

• Members Plus
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, bicycling
    Box turtles

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

That depends on where you will put them, what they normally do, and how healthy they are.  If there is any chance of temperatures being below freezing, do not put them outside.  They need temperatures of at least 65 during the day and a place to dig under if there is a cold spell.  If you have an indoor habitat, then it would be okay to wake them up.  

I hibernate three-toeds indoors and I determine when to bring up by outdoor temperature and how well they are maintaining their weight.  If their weight is low after soaking, I will keep them up indoors.  I have been warming them up the last two weeks, and as we will have 60s this weekend, I'm ending hibernation, though they will remain indoors - our climate is still too cool for permanent outdoor time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users