Cache Valley Bee Removal

Photo
- - - - -

will uva/uvb go through thick glass window?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 TURTLES R ME

TURTLES R ME

Normal Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 07:50 PM

I DON'T THINK THAT IT CAN. IF IT DOES I DOUBT THAT IT IS ENOUGH TO KEEP THE TURTLE HEALTHY.

#22 BlueWater

BlueWater

Normal Member

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:52gal: 1 RES w/ 2-Parrot Fish
    Fluval4 PLUS
    60Watt Ceramic baskheat
    18inch Reptisun 2.0

20Gal tall: 2 White's TreeFrog

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:13 AM

I emailed Zoomed.

Someone responded with the bulb needing to be replaced every 12 months recommended.

Yes UVB does pass... but the amount of UVB that passes is like .02% and only goes up to an inch or so. (wish that thread wasnt deleted) so we can see the benchmarks.

But generally, no, that cover will not suffice enough uvb to pass. Some people think an open window shade will work... it won't if the glass is closed. And all it will do is grow alot of green algae and bloom your water nasty green and brown.

#23 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 02:39 PM

Will UVB rays go through plastic? Like a light plastic tarp? Since the weather is getting wamr, but still chilly in Canada, I was thinking bringing some of the turts outside for some good old fashioned sunshine. But there are occasinal windy periods. I would like to put a light see-thru plastic tarp over it. I don't know if it is tarp, just stuff from a hardware store.

Any thoughts? [^]

Cheers,
JJ [icon_smile_wink.gif

#24 Bobbie

Bobbie

Normal Member

• Members Standard
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 02:49 PM

No.

#25 Box Turtle

Box Turtle

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:43 PM

As far as I know, plastics filter uv even more so than glass. I used to work in a frame shop and whenever we had to frame something of value, we used conservation glass which has a plastic coating on the inside surface to block whatever uv makes it through the glass. Plexi will also block more uv than ordinary glass.

#26 JJ

JJ

Addicted Member

• Members Plus
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:10 AM

REally, eh.... I was thinking of constructing a plastic cover, sort of like a green house for my turts as they bask outside. The weather is warmer, but there's still a good chill in the air. Oh well. Next idea, eh. Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
JJ [icon_smile_wink.gif

#27 jen5418

jen5418

Starting Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 08:15 PM

I have a Repti-glo bulb (long) on my turts (2 sliders) tank. However, because we also have 4 cats in the house, we can't have the top of the tank uncovered. So it has the glass tops on it. Will the UVA/B not go through those glass lids either??
If it doesn't, I dont' know what I'm going to do because we have to have cover on tank because of cats. But I want to make sure my turts are getting everything they need!

thanks
Jennifer

#28 Box Turtle

Box Turtle

Preferred Member

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:56 PM

Try using a screen cover with large mesh. That will be your best bet in this situation.

#29 Turtor

Turtor

Starting Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 09:36 PM

Are the windows tinted? If yes probably not.

#30 nickyrugg

nickyrugg

Normal Member

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 11:25 PM

I dont know if anybody asked this yet...but will the UV light go through the water?

Will the turtle be gettign some UVA/UVB when swimming too or only basking?

#31 EasternPaintedTurtle

EasternPaintedTurtle

Normal Member

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:29 PM

No.[v][v][v][v][v][v]

#32 HOLLIEO

HOLLIEO

New User

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

So, you are saying the turtle will only get UVA/UVB light when basking and not swimming? The reason I ask, is if I should place the UVB light next to my basking light?
I just got a new reptile ligt made by ESU called Slimline Reptile Fixture. It comes with the bulb and has a plastic shiled over the light part. So will the light pass through (the UVB) this plastic? Why would they sell it with this plastic if it didn't promote good UVB? I am just a little confused????

#33 Ol Dirty Caffrey

Ol Dirty Caffrey

Normal Member

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing, reading, jogging, & turts.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:44 AM

Hollieo,

Take the plastic off of the fixture so that more UVB will be available to your turtles.

They probably sell it with the plastic on it just for general saftey. Something similar that I have has a sticker on it that indicates to take the plastic cover off so that more UVB is available.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

#34 unkown

unkown

New User

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 10:24 AM

Yes infact they will. It is very difficult,though entirely possible, to filter out all UVa/UVb rays. But in opinion, it is not recommended. I recently read findings made by a scientist who built a structure that blocked out the rays of the sun, and then grew plants in the sturcture. This produced enormus vegetables such as cherry tomatos the size of softballs. Think of what an effect this would have on your turtle if it was placed in such an enviornment. The cost of feeding it, alone, would be astronomical as it easily would grow to be 100 pounds or more.

#35 Boxiebreeder

Boxiebreeder

Addicted Member

• Members
  • 2,428 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in herpatology. I am a martial arts practitioner. I am into graphic design. And I am debating an aqautic turtle.

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:35 PM

When all uv rays are filter out the turtles will eventually die from one reason or another. Also I don't belive the findings of the scientist with those plants. It just couldn't happen. Also turtles have a certain point where they just almost stop growing. And growth is hardly noticable.

#36 VeGeTa-X

VeGeTa-X

Forum Conversion Survivor

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:12 PM

I have a question what do yu guys think of the hood esu combo light hood for a turtle tank do you think its a good product? its for my 55 gallon tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users